Friday, April 22, 2005

Amongst Grown-Ups

I went to Tai's last night, because on Thursday nights I go to Tai's. It was easily the best night out I've had since I moved here. It left me feeling refreshed and ready to take on Chicago with the kind of gusto that people who have recently moved here should be taking on Chicago with. Really, really great night. Because nothing happened.

That's right, absolutely nothing went on. A bunch of people went to a bar....and that's it.

We didn't all stand there like Easter Island, mind you. We watched the mock draft, followed by Baseball Tonight, followed by Sportscenter. The jukebox was played. Several people shot a few rounds of pool. I myself discussed Maurice Clarrett, Braylon Edwards, and Star Wars with Gene Honda for much of the night. We drank some beer, or whatever particular drink each individual had ordered. There was laughter. There was smiling. Just a bunch of relaxed, grown people, enjoying a companionable evening at the neighborhood bar.

There weren't any 19 year olds wondering if perchance my roommate or I might buy them some beer. There was no rogue tattoo artist setting up camp on the bar and keeping people from their regularly scheduled whatever-it-is-they-do-on-Thursday-night. I was not subjected to a pair of people debating which is the more TOTALLY AWESOME movie: Anchorman or Napoleon Dynamite? Absolutely no one repeated back to me something that I had just said prefaced with "Your mom".

I have absolutely nothing at all to tell you about.

I've never felt so good in my life.

No comments: