Friday, February 04, 2005

Dream a Little Dream of Me...Dropping My Cell Phone

Twice in the last three days, I've dreamt that I dropped my cell phone into a body of water. In the first dream I was back at my dad's old house and I was taking a shower. My cell phone, which I had placed on the edge of the bathtub (in case someone called? What the hell is up with that?) began to ring, so I answered it, just like anyone else who was taking a shower wouldn't. It was Heather , calling to catch up (as we occasionally do). We were chatting for a few minutes, as I'm continuing to clean myself, when suddenly my cell phone breaks in half. The bottom falls into the water and I stare dumbly at it with the top half still in my hand and a head full of shampoo.

Two nights later, I dream I have this large, shallow tub of water that, obviously, I keep in my living room. And somehow I manage to drop both my cell phone and my cordless home phone (which in real life I do not have) into the tub. I fish them both out and then spend much time dismantling both in an effort to drain all of the water from both. Incidentally I also dreamed about having sex with the bartender that night (I'm pretty sure that dream was unrelated).

People, what does this mean? Being the practical gal that I am, I enjoy the idea that it means nothing more than that my cell phone sucks and that I should chuck it into a lake (or tub in the living room) and get myself a new one. Mary kindly did some Googling for me and came up with a dream dictionary containing the following insights:

Drop
To dream that you are dropping things, indicates that you are letting go some project, relationship, person, or idea. Also analyze the significance of what is being dropped. Alternatively, it may represent your carelessness. Perhaps you are expressing some dismay or regret in how you let something slip through fingers.

Cell Phone
To see or use a cell phone in your dream, indicates that you are being receptive to new information. It also represents your mobility.

To dream that you lost your cell phone, represents a lack of communication. You have lost touch with some aspect of your feelings or your Self.

Water
To see water in your dream, symbolizes your unconscious and your emotional state of mind. Water is the living essence of the psyche and the flow of life energy. It is also symbolic of spirituality, knowledge, healing and refreshment. To dream that water is boiling, suggests that you are expressing some emotional turmoil. It also may mean that feelings from your unconscious are surfacing and ready to be acknowledged.

To see calm, clear water in your dream, signifies that you are in tune with your spirituality. It denotes serenity, peace of mind, and rejuvenation.

To hear running water in your dream, denotes meditation, reflection and pondering of your thoughts and emotions.

I pondered these insights. As I'm moving to Chicago mere weeks from now, I'm letting go of pretty much everything, save for Kristen and my dining room table. This also applies to the cell phone thing and my "mobility". The water, though, I just can't seem to tie in. It's kind of irritating me. If I had had two dreams about the bartender and only one about drowning my cell phone I wouldn't be thinking about this; I'd be going about my daily life (smiling) because the meaning of those dreams is pretty straightforward. But this...this is just friggin' weird is what this is. Anybody know what's going on here? If so, please 'splain it to me.

15 comments:

amberance said...

How about we be friends? I'll google your dreams and you can leave me under the sprinklers. I'll wear a white t-shirt.

amberance said...

Update - Firday night I deamed I had sex with Dr. Dre. What the hell is going on here?

Tara said...

Until you dream about having sex with your bartender (the modern day psychotherapist, right?) while talking on your cell phone (a need to feel connected) in a body of water (returning to the womb?)...I'd say it's all normal. Wow, your dreams are a lot more interesting than mine. Mine usually involve some horrifying scenario in which I realize that although I've signed up for some class like Calculus XIII or Nuclear Physics IV, but have somehow always not managed to get to the clsas and now it's time for the final exam. Or I miss a final exam. Or a question on a final exam. Yes, I have been out of college for five years and I STILL have those dreams.

Anonymous said...

Tara, those types of dreams will continue for about 10-15 years so get use to them.

Unknown said...

I dreamt that I washed my phone several times with water lightly. My phone was supposed to get unfunctional but it was still working fine. What does it mean

Anonim 18 said...

I dreamt the same thing omg , i dried up my phone with a hairdryer and if worked fine. Can someone tell us wbat does it mean?

Unknown said...

I JUST HAD A DREAM LAST NIGHT THAT I ACCIDENTALLY dropped my cell phone into the dark blue calm ocean me my cousin and my boyfriend were on the ship in the middle of the ocean that's so weird🤔🤔🤔😮😴😴😴😴 BUT WHAT DOES IT SYMBOLISE?

Unknown said...

would know six number combination up to 55 with same dreams as in the above story.

Unknown said...

I had a dream I was gay.....or that maybe not a dream

Unknown said...

Were you on the ship?

Unknown said...

Your phone symbolises you? Why you so durty?! I jest. Maybe like cleansing your life and realising you still be the same after. The same great person.

Unknown said...

Cleansing. All good.

Unknown said...

Go test it.

Unknown said...

Totally natural, own it. Tis only a sex dream and Dre is a ledge.

Unknown said...

Pfffttt calculus, nuclear physics... Hero for taking either of those courses in the first place. More importantly, is this person a bartender or psychotherapist?